WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF TELEHEALTH?
- Less or no travel time
- Less disruption to your usual routine
- Your local healthcare professional (e.g. GP, practice nurse, or other) may be involved
- Increased independence
- Greater flexibility for appointments
IS TELELEHEALTH RIGHT FOR ME?
There are many kinds of appointments which are suitable for telehealth. If your specialist clinician needs to perform a physical examination or request tests, you will need to attend in person. Speak to your clinician about whether telehealth is appropriate for your specific circumstances.
WHAT WILL IT COST ME?
- The video call is free (except for your internet usage). The regular costs, if any, of a medical consultation still apply. Please speak to your specialist about any costs to you for your consultation.
- If you ask your GP or other healthcare professional to also attend, they may have fees. Both your medical specialist and your GP may bill Medicare. You may be given forms to sign before your Telehealth consultation.
- There is no cost for the use of our Community Telehealth Hub.
HOW DO I BOOK A TELEHEALTH APPOINTMENT?
Ask your clinician if you would like a telehealth video consultation. If it is appropriate, they will book a telehealth video consultation for you. Tell your clinician if you will need an interpreter. Tell your clinician if you would like your GP or other health professional to join you.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE A VIDEO CALL?
You will need;
- A computer or mobile device with a web camera, speakers and microphone. (These are already built in to most laptops and mobile devices).
- A Google Chrome or Safari browser.
- A good internet connection. (If you can watch a video online, you can make a video call).
- A private well lit area where you will not be disturbed during your consultation. You can check your setup by running a test call here. This will test your camera, microphone, speakers and internet connection speed. The test call will open in a new window. It will not connect to a live video call.
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT TO MAKE A VIDEO CALL?
You can use our Community Telehealth Hub located at 28 Ascot St, Dartmoor. Our hub has all the equipment needed for a telehealth video call in a private consultation room. There is no cost for the use of our hub. As soon as you have made your telehealth appointment, call us to book the Community Telehealth Hub. On the day of your appointment, arrive at the hub at least 15 minutes before your appointment. Our staff will show you to your private room and can help you to get started.
WHO CAN ATTEND MY TELEHEALTH APPOINTMENT?
You are welcome to include a family member or carer in a telehealth consultation. Sometimes your clinician will ask a carer, family member, or someone else you trust to join you. For example, they might ask them to measure something for your occupational therapist. Your GP or other healthcare professional can also join you. You will need to book an appointment with your GP at the same time as your Telehealth appointment.
IS TELEHEALTH PRIVATE AND SECURE?
Telehealth is much like a face to face appointment. No one, (including you, your family or healthcare professionals) may record the consultation without written consent by all involved. If you want to speak privately with the healthcare provider, ask any other people present to leave the room.
HOW DO I ATTEND MY TELEHEALTH APPOINTMENT FROM HOME?
Watch this Instructional Video
We recommend testing your setup the day before your appointment by clicking here. If you have any problems, please call Barwon South West Telehealth on 03 4215 1230. Telehealth appointments work like face-to-face ones and clinics run on a schedule. Clinics sometimes run behind time and you may have to wait before the specialist joins your appointment.
During your telehealth appointment, try to:
- Avoid any possible interruptions to your appointment
- Speak clearly
- Look at the screen
If you don’t like the style of Telehealth consultation, you are welcome to choose face-to-face consultations in future. You may also ask to stop the Telehealth consultation at any time.
WHAT IF I AM HAVING TECHNICAL ISSUES?
If you are having technical troubles on the day of your Telehealth appointment please call Barwon South West Telehealth on 03 4215 1230.